On this page you can read our sustainability profile and learn about E-waste and the impact on the environment made by the IT industry. You can also read about how we, together, can make the impact smaller for our mutual benefit. By recycling IT we are contributing to the effort of making the impact smaller as it is in the production of electronic products where the biggest impact can be found.
What is E-waste?
E-waste is more than just outdated and broken cell phones and laptops. E-waste is basically any electronic device that is no longer wanted or somehow obsolete, whether it is functional or not. TV’s, DVD players, printers, fax machines, computers, monitors, tablets and many more electronic devices categorizes as e-waste when they are no longer wanted.
6 facts about E-waste
- It is only between 15-20 percent of E-waste that is being recycled.
- The amount of global E-waste is expected to grow by 8 percent per year.
- It takes 240 kg (530 lbs) of fossil fuel, 21.7 kg (48 lbs) of chemicals, and 1.5 tons of water to manufacture one computer and monitor.
- E-Waste often contains hazardous materials, which can adversely affect the environment.
- A large number of what is labeled as E-waste is not waste at all, but rather whole electronic equipment or spare parts that qualifies for reuse or can be recycled for materials recovery.
- 20 – 50 million tons of E-waste are disposed worldwide every year.
Recycling is key
We firmly believe that by recycling electronic products the impact on the environment made by our industry can be reduced and the amount of E-waste can be reduced as well. We understand and acknowledge that we have to do something actively. And we acknowledge just as well, that just one company cannot change it for the better. But we do believe, that being aware of the problem and doing something about it is better than doing nothing. And hopefully others will follow. Many are already aware of this, but more companies have to make a sustainability profile and take action.
We specialize in refurbishment of electronic devices such as storage and servers, controllers, Hard disks etc. We buy a lot of electronic equipment every week. It occurs sometimes that we have to discard some electronic devices because it is defect which then classifies it as E-waste. To ensure that we discard E-waste correct according to the Danish Environmental Protection Agency (Danish EPA) we use a third party which has all the correct ISO certificates, Stena Recycling. They recycle every reuseable substance from E-waste which is a key factor for us.
If you have any questions about our sustainability profile please don’t hesitate to contact us.